Sunday, December 19, 2010

What's the goal?

When talking to people about their futures, the common response is that their sole aspiration is to earn money. I never hear students mention that they want to be happy. It's all about money. I fully realize that money is necessary to survive, but it is overemphasized in our society. Why can't people focus on doing things that are fulfilling, or make them happy? It seems to me like they are afraid of being looked down upon if they don't have millions of dollars.

As usual, I am different. My goal is not to be enormously wealthy. My goal is to be self sufficient and happy. Yes, my goal is to be a farmer. I am well aware that certain people look down upon such a profession. I am also aware that I won't be extraordinarily wealthy. I really don't care about either of these "issues" very much. I am concerned with doing what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment