Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Greenhorns

Last weekend, I found out about a documentary called "The Greenhorns." This film explores the lives of young farmers in America.
The filmmaker hopes that this film will help convince more people to choose a career in agriculture. They focus on young farmers, because the average age of a farmer is 57.
I look forward to seeing this film, because I am going to be starting my own farm eventually. For now, I can just find resources such as this one, and connect with the organizers.
I feel that the apathy that is present among members of my generation will be harmful later in life. Unless there's a agricultural revolution among the members of my generation, the problems will continue to get worse.
My main concern is that the age of the average farmer will continue to rise, until we reach a point when we have no local, small farms.
The people won't have taken enough interest in food production, and therefore, the multinational corporations will become even more powerful.
That's my main concern. Luckily, we have movements like The Greenhorns, and as it says on The Greenhorns Website, "It is the filmmaker's hope that by broadcasting the stories and voices of these young farmers, we can build the case for those considering a career in agriculture - to embolden them, to entice them, and to recruit them into farming."

I hope that more and more youth choose a career in farming.

3 comments:

  1. Your heart is in the right place.

    I agree, we need more people with the knowledge to grow, not commercially but naturally. The small family farm is falling by the wayside, gobbled up by corporations and developemnt. Already the balance of producing land versus the population is teetering.

    Farming is not just a business (mostly a losing money business for small farms) it is a way of life. You must love what you do and remember the old ways of caring for the earth and she will care for you.

    The knowledge of natural farming is being lost as our generation thins. It is admirable that you want to choose this field as your life's work.

    What scale, what branch of farming appeals to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envision a Joel Salatin-esque farm.
    Very multifaceted.
    I am not choosing this career as a way to become a millionaire. I am choosing this career path because I want to raise animals in a humane, and environmentally responsible way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, there are lots of up and coming farmers, keep the faith! We are a small farm in maine (a friend just directed me to your site)--it would be hard for us to take someone for just two months, it is true, but look round where you are and see what you can find...

    ReplyDelete