Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Post on Greenhorns

I have had a piece published on the Greenhorns Blog.
http://thegreenhorns.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/a-high-schooler-chooses-agriculture/

This is quite exciting for me, because it will hopefully put me in touch with some farmers. I am greatly looking forward to the summer, because I will hopefully be doing an internship. An internship would provide me with hands on experience in farming, which is important for my education.
Not only will I get experience with production of food, but I will hopefully get experience with selling the products at farmers markets.

4 comments:

  1. Hey I saw your post on the greenhorns blog. I am a college student at Virgina Tech studying Ag. I am from the suburbs and really had no exposure to the local food and farming culture until late in high school. Coming from a similar background, I understand exactly where you are. I don't know where you're from, but VA has summer governors school programs (ag included) that are set up to fit into the high school schedule. I went to that and got farm experience and met a lot of the professors at VT that I have now. I would look into that for your state. VT also has an amazing agriculture program and farm training for aspiring young people if you are interested!

    Here is my blog- http://lns3.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out in Georgia there is a farm called nature's harmony farm that is looking for some help. I think you might be a great fit. Check them out, good luck.
    www.naturesharmonyfarm.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony,

    They already have interns for the summer.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to try farming in the Northeast, check out nofany.org/bfam/apprenticeshipmain, nofavt.org or mofga.org for their online directories!

    ReplyDelete