Monday, August 8, 2011

Irked

I'm still feeling irked by the results of the trip. I had a fantastic time, and learned a lot. The other attendees complained about the level of work, and are now asking for a certificate of community service for the 2 hours that they worked. 
I planned this trip to be a learning and volunteering experience. 
It seems like the participants would find a piece of paper to be more fulfilling than the work itself. 
I'm feeling unappreciated for all my efforts. Even if I do get them certificates, I feel that I still won't be appreciated. So, what's the point? 

3 comments:

  1. Give them the certificates. Maybe some day down the road they'll come across them and it will finally sink in what they actually did. You love farming. Not everyone does. It is hard work. But did you organize the trip to get your own hands dirty or to be recognized for your efforts? Isn't looking for appreciation for your efforts the same as asking for a certificate? Sorry if this sounds harsh. Playing devil's advocate here. It's time to let it go and move on. I've followed your blog for a few months now and know how passionate you are about farming. I was once told that participants only absorb about 1/3 of anything taught them at workshops/seminars/etc. even if they are fully engaged and interested in the topic. Let's hope that something they did or experienced that day will click with them at some point down the road. And if the certificate facilitates that memory, do it.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina,
    Thanks for your comment.
    I organized the trip to get my hands dirty and to teach my peers about agriculture. I am currently working on getting the certfificates for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This world takes all kinds of people to go round. I glad that you love farming so much, I love it just as much as you do and won't need a certificate either. However, we are not most people.

    I agree with Nina that you should give them the certificates and enjoy the work that you did. You got to work on the farm, you don't need their praise.

    Maybe by looking at the certificate on their wall, they will want to come back next year. Why not give them some seeds along with the certificate?

    ReplyDelete