Friday, August 5, 2011

Work

I just took a trip to neighboring farm with my camp.
I organized the entire trip.
I personally thought that the trip went well.
We helped with weeding, and learned about composting.
It was my idea of a perfect afternoon.
However, I found out that some participants felt that they worked too much, and werent prepared for this quantity of work.
I had specifically told them that I was planning a trip to a farm, where we would be doing work.
Also, I am being asked to arrange for certificates of community service to be give out to all participants.
For me, doing farm work is so rewarding, that I don't need any recognition or certificates.
This is irksome.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to share with you part of the poem I wrote for myself last week, to keep myself calm when people's lack of enthusiasm about environmental education/work/learning irked me:

    Your consciousness is the only conduit you have.
    The world is not yours-or any one person's-to change
    You have no choice but to yield to the beauty of the path we are on
    You are here out of love.
    You are here to be empathetic.
    Act out of solidarity.
    You are not here to make change that is not ready to be made.
    you are here to forge shift
    in any subtle way you find
    that it is actually possible.


    If people complain about how hard the work farming is, this is still an opportunity....for them to realize how hard farming is! That to be a farmer is to put in endless, endless hours of 'community service'.

    see you sunday,
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete