Monday, October 25, 2010

Another Day.

Another day has passed. Another boring urban day, without any livestock to care for or crops to harvest.
I see these people in Southern California, and they pretend to be connected to the food that they are eating, but one can't be fully aware until they have participated in the raising of the animal, or the picking of the crop.
When someone buys a carton of milk at a grocery store, they have no idea what went into the milk. They don't know what the cows are like. That is deprivation, in my opinion.
I long for the day when I can be sustainable, and raise my own animals, and grow my own crops. I feel so detached from the whole process.
I am starting to think about college already.
At my school, the students who intend to get a good education often look at colleges because of prestige, or popularity, even if the college doesn't suit their interests. There is this idea in American culture that a degree from a first rate, well known university can help you earn money, even if you're not happy.
This is something I refuse to do. I refuse to go to a college based on brand value.
I am thinking about a small college called Sterling College in Vermont, where they have a program for Sustainable Agriculture.

When I get my farm, it will be a great place, and a quiet, pleasant place. There will be no competition, and no standardized testing. There will be a slow and relaxed way of life, with hard physical work.
While most people my age want their first automobile to be something fast, or sporty, I'd be perfectly content with a John Deere tractor.

1 comment:

  1. This is an inspiring blog! You write well, with clarity and eloquence, and your conviction is really admirable.

    I work at Sterling College, and found your blog through the comment you left on the Common Voice. It's a beautiful fall day here, warm, with blue skies. I hope you can visit us sometime!

    Please keep writing. I'm going to share your blog with some colleagues.

    All best,

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete