Thursday, October 28, 2010

The pace of life

"There is more to life than increasing its speed"
Gandhi.


If only people actually listened to this quote, and followed it. I see these people who are in such a hurry from the time they wake up, until they go to bed. What will be accomplished by rushing to complete tasks, or to get somewhere? The only result will be stress piling up, and the risk of injury increases.
The school that I attend only gives us seven minutes to get between classes, so we are expected to run from place to place, in order to avoid being penalized. If we're late, we get punished. Why don't people just stop, take a deep breath, and just relax. I have a hard time getting accustomed to such a hectic pace.

Another problem is that the integrity of the students is always called into question. One of my teachers told me that I can't use my laptop for quizzes, because he can't ensure that I won't cheat. In history, yesterday, the teacher had given an in-class writing assignment. He collected the papers at the end of the period, and said that he would let us work on them again today. Today in class, he found out that another student had not handed his in at the end of yesterday's class, so he automatically made the assumption that the student would cheat on an assignment.
What has education turned into?

No comments:

Post a Comment