Sunday, October 24, 2010

Intro

I am the Future Farmer. I am currently at a huge high school in California, and I spent the last year at a boarding school with a farm in Vermont. I miss the animals. I miss the sounds, the smells and the sights. Most of all, I miss the people, who were so down to earth. Outside of agricultural communities, everyone is in such a rush to get ahead. It's all about taking the most advanced courses, and taking the most challenging tests, and not really about learning. I find this to be sad and upsetting.
I said to my mother a few weeks ago that if you were to take the kids who got into Yale, or scored 2400 on their SAT's, and bring them to a farm, that they wouldn't know how to manage livestock, or even how to harvest crops. Even though these students lack practical knowledge, they are considered successful and educated.
My definition of success is being happy, and living a good life. To most people, a good life is having a lucrative career, and a large house or apartment, and buying the best food. I feel that you can have a good life working very hard physically, and that your work has more meaning when the product of your work is your dinner, or your clothing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there future farmer! I hear what you are saying. I bet you'd like my blog: http://ifyouwereafarmer.tumblr.com/

    it is a daily dose of rural/farm life. It also has a twitter feed: http://twitter.com/ifyouwerefarmer

    I am looking for folks to help me write-- let me know if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got it all right. Don't ever forget it!

    ReplyDelete