Saturday, April 9, 2011

Grandparents

I was visiting with my grandparents last night, and discussing my choice to become a farmer. Even though my grandfather didn't make any direct comment, his disapproval was obvious. My grandfather was a lawyer for his whole life, so that probably influenced his comments. When I asked him what he thought, he responded that it's not his place to judge the lives of other people. These remarks were about as subtle as getting slapped in the face. I guess criticism comes with the territory, because I am not choosing an extremely lucrative, elitist career. If I had chosen a desk-job within corporate America, my grandfather would have been supportive. However, because I am choosing a fulfilling occupation, my choice becomes an object of criticism.
I am off to New York tomorrow. I am hoping that I can get a chance to visit some local farms. I will also be going to the Farmer's Markets in Manhattan.
I'm currently reading You Can Farm, by Joel Salatin, and it's a great book. It gives a lot of useful advice to the beginning farmer. As I read this book, I'll continue on my farm plan.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny that our society does not value the people that provide one of the most vital elements to our survival? Like being a farmer is something not worthy of striving for? And yet, if you had just signed a movie deal and on your way to becoming a famous actor, you would be revered. Our society needs help to change this warped ideal of success, food is essential to life, fame and fortune is not. Good for you for standing up for yourself and your vision.

    ReplyDelete