Thursday, April 26, 2012

Accepted

Today, I received the news that I was accepted to the summer program at Sterling College. I'll be attending a five week program, in which I will study sustainable agriculture. In addition to learning about sustainable agriculture, I'll learn more about Sterling College, and this will help me get a better understanding of whether or not I'll matriculate to Sterling. Sterling College is a small, environmentally-focused college, in Vermont. Here's an excerpt from the website describing the program. "At the end of the summer, students will have: • Worked a full season with vegetable production, livestock, and draft horses • Managed a contract with the dining hall • Seeded, planted, weeded, harvested over 40 different types of crops • Handled sheep, chickens, turkeys, pigs, goats, cows, horses • Farmed and logged with draft horses • Operated a tractor cultivating fields • Created and executed a Personal Learning Plan (PLP) • Baked bread in a traditional wood-fired oven • Visited several VT farms learning from those farmers who have been doing it for a long time • Managed a Passive Solar Hoophouse to learn season extension and growing food year round in a cold climate • Learned the principles of root storage in traditional root cellars • Engaged in food preservation – canning, freezing, drying, etc • Employed the principles of permaculture through the management of an Edible Forest Garden." This sounds like the perfect summer program for me. I feel that this is a fantastic program, and one which I'll enjoy attending this summer. After doing this summer program, I'll make a decision regarding whether or not I'll attend Sterling full time, and if so, when I'd start. http://www.sterlingcollege.edu/summer-ag.html

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like a great program, I wish I could take something like that. Instead, I am just learning as I go, using my pigs and cows as guinea pigs and the Internet as my guide!

    ReplyDelete