Friday, April 27, 2012

Familial criticism.

That was an irksome dinner. I was dining with my grandfather and discussing the summer program which I'll be attending at Sterling. He kept shrugging and rolling his eyes, as if to suggest that I was presenting a paper on neurology in Aramaic. I told him that agriculture is still something that I want to pursue. The look of discontent and disapproval was stunning. I made a comment about the stigmatization of agriculture, and how some don't view it as a respectable career. He told me that in comparison to science or psychology, he doesn't see farming as a respectable career. I am truly irked by such hateful behavior. I'm not asking him to start planting seeds, or pull up a three-legged stool and milk a cow. I'm simply asking for respect, which I guess is such a hard thing to ask for. Because, of course, we no longer have a need for farmers, ever since the iFood App was created for the iPhone. Or maybe if enough people play online farming games, all our food woes will be solved.

1 comment:

  1. I admire you for standing behind your beliefs. I grew up on a dairy farm and milked 100 cows twice a day. I also married a dairy farmer and helped on his farm. Sadly,both those farms no longer exist. Farming IS a necessity if we are to continue to eat. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Farming is the best of professions!

    ReplyDelete