Friday, May 20, 2011

Wanting to get started

I feel like there are many years and obstacles ahead of me, before I can get started with farming.
I would much rather just start, and do apprenticeships for a few years.
Doing this would be useful and helpful, and would prepare me for my career.
I will be entering college next year, but there isn't an agricultural component at the school.
Therefore, I am questioning what to do.
I feel that I could get a lot of experience by apprenticing for a few years on different farms.
I am weighing all my options.

2 comments:

  1. Check out these links. Most of the farm apprenticeship programs I checked into allow you to stay on their property for free, as you are working for them. It's a great way to gain experience and beef up the resume with references.

    http://californiafarmlink.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=2&Itemid=23

    http://www.backdoorjobs.com/farming.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought I would discourage anyone from going to college....but in this case....
    I think you would learn so much more hands on. And if you thought you needed to, you could pick up a class or two as you went along.

    ReplyDelete