Thursday, November 11, 2010

Little Boxes

Many people have preconceived notions about education.
Most people believe that the quality of a university is based on how many billions of dollars are in the endowment, or on the number of well-known alumni.
Decisions on college should be based on the program, and its compatibility to the beliefs of the students. Not all people fit into molds. I don't.
I have many interests. I am interested in politics, ceramics and agriculture.
Because of my varied interests, I can't be labeled, or put into a box.
Frequently, students apply to certain colleges, based on name recognition value, or based on the age of an institution.
If people based their college choices on their passions, people would be happier.

You can find a school that fits your interests, even if your passions don't fit into the arbitrary definition of academic interests. Very few colleges have agricultural programs, but some do. Because of this, I will focus on the colleges that have a farming curriculum when I start applying.

No comments:

Post a Comment