Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pie

It's saturday afternoon, and I baked one pie, and the second is in the oven.
It feels good to work with my hands, and produce something.
I started with one bag of apples per pie (I would rather be growing my own apples, mais c'est la vie. I sautéed the apples in about one tablespoon of butter. Once the apples were softening, I added a few dashes of cinammon and nutmeg. Once the apples were cooked, I let them cool

For the crust,
I combined two cups of flour and 2/3 cup of butter. I didn't know where our mixer was, so I crumbled the butter into the flour by hand. I added a small amount of water, just enough to make the dough come together. I then rolled the dough into a ball, and put it into the fridge for 45 minutes. After that time had elapsed, I put the doughball on a floured surface, and rolled it out, to a thickness of about 1/2 inch or less. I put the crust into a pie dish, and added the apple mixture.

The first one turned out fabulously, and I think the second one will as well
Just an FYI, for the first pie, I formed the top from the excess dough on the outsides of the piepan. For the second one, however, I made some more dough, but omitted the setting up phase. To compensate for the rushing of the dough, I mixed in some more flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment