Sunday, August 26, 2012

Another year.

It appears that another academic year begins in the morning.
Another year of purely theoretical learning, devoid of the practical.
I realize of course that theoretical learning is enough to be fulfilling for most people.
I, however, don't feel fulfilled just by "studying."
When WWOOFing in NC, i felt fulfilled, because I had done physical, tangible work. I could see the results of my work. The work wasn't in a document stored on a hard drive of a computer. The results manifested themselves in a pile of weeds. I could actually see and feel what I had accomplished. To me, that's learning, because I felt truly happy with what I had accomplished.
With typical collegiate learning, it's hard to reach the same sense of fulfillment, because there's really nothing to show for it, except a piece of paper, four years down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment